Campus News · Sports

Grizzlies survive scare against Greyhounds of Fort Scott

football is decent, sports media is not
Sophomore linebacker Charlie Grey pursues a Greyhound ball-carrier. Butler defeated Fort Scott 10-7 in a tight conference game. Photo by Ma’Kayla Coller

Anthony Gorges
Student Sports Media

Nationally ranked at No. 7, the Butler Grizzlies were tested at BG Products Veterans Sports Complex on Saturday, Oct. 19 against the No. 15 Fort Scott Greyhounds. The Grizzlies survived and won a tight game by a score of 10-7.

Throughout the game, it was a defensive battle. Butler tallied 326 yards of total offense but struggled to get the ball into the end zone. All 10 of the Grizzlies points came in the first quarter on their first two drives.

On the opening drive, Butler drove the length of the field, but the offense stalled in the redone. Sophomore Kicker Jacob Abel connected on a 26-yard field goal with 7:18 left in the first quarter. Butler’s defense remained strong and held Fort Scott to another three and out. Fort Scott’s Punter Johnny Kilgo punted away once again for Fort Scott, but Sophomore Returnman Ja’Quez Durham returned the punt 40 yards back to the Fort Scott 33-yard line.

It only took two plays for Butler to get into the end zone. Freshman Quarterback Jack Samsel connected with Sophomore Wide Receiver George Qualls on a 31-yard touchdown pass. That was the only time that Butler got into the end zone on Saturday night, but it was all they needed.

The defense was stout the whole game and held the Greyhounds of Fort Scott to 171 yards of total offense. Fort Scott struggled on third down as well. The Greyhounds were 3 of 16 on third downs only converting on 19 percent of their attempts.

In the second half, Fort Scott used different quarterbacks on nearly every drive. Sophomore Quarterback Rayvon Bartlett and Sophomore Quarterback Carlos Davis split reps and finally got the offense into the end zone. With 3:34 left in the third quarter, Freshman Running Back Andrew Henry took a handoff five yards and into the end zone to make the score 10-7, Butler still leading.

On the final drive of the game, the Greyhounds drove down the field looking to tie the game or potentially upset the Grizzlies. Butler’s defense came up with a big sack with 12 seconds left in the game. Fort Scott did not have any timeouts left but managed to run their field goal unit onto the field. Kilgo had already missed a 45-yard field goal in the first half and was attempting a 52-yard field goal to tie the game. The Greyhounds got the snap off. The kick was on target, but just like his previous field goal attempt, it was short, and Butler survived, winning 10-7.

“We knew we could beat the [Greyhounds], we just had to go out and fight,” Sophomore Defensive Lineman Daniel Durden said.

Butler advances to 7-2 on the year and will travel to Iowa the next two weekends to take on Ellsworth and Iowa Western. The Grizzlies return home on Saturday, Nov. 9 to host Garden City in the final regular season game of the year.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s